Monday, August 3, 2009

The Diva Visits Fish King! Domestic Diva's Jumbo Scallop Ceviche!


This week I'm off to Oahu for my BDFF's nuptials, and I'm hoping I'll be able to blog from The North Shore, but just in case I'm leaving you with my favorite culinary experience of recent times. It can be summed up in two words. Fish King. A local fishmonger located in Glendale, I'd been meaning to take a field trip out there for weeks, and finally mustered up the energy, rolling in on a Friday morning, ready to stock my kitchen with the best seafood available. When I walked inside, a huge case of fish greeted me. They had just about anything you could ever want!


Quickly, I took a number, waited my turn, deliberating over what to buy, and finally made my selections. I requested the local yellowtail (otherwise known as amberjack), soft shell crab (one of the best things in summer), jumbo shrimp, and finally, the sashimi grade jumbo scallops. Right then and there, I resolved I'd be turning them into ceviche, the perfect, refreshing summer dish. The prices were very reasonable for the quality of the seafood. I also noticed that they had a lunch counter where you could order fried or charbroiled fish! I must check that out next visit!


Quickly, I hurried home, eager to cook up my seafood. All I can say is that Fish King did not disappoint! My ceviche was to die for, thanks in large part to the freshness of the scallops. I served it over fresh, chunky slices of avocado. Now that I'm hooked, there's no doubt I'll be back there in the coming weeks for more!


Domestic Diva's Jumbo Scallop Ceviche

4 sashimi grade jumbo scallops, sliced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 serrano pepper, diced
1 lime, juiced
2 lemons, juiced
2 tbsp good olive oil
1 large avocade or 2 small avocados, cut into large slices
salt & pepper

Directions:

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lemon juice & olive oil. Add the scallops, serrano pepper, garlic & onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until nicely chilled and marinated.

To plate, place the avocado in the bottom of a bowl and spoon the ceviche over the top. Enjoy!

Businesses Mentioned:

Fish King
722 N. Glendale Ave.
Glendale, CA 91206
(818) 244 2161

Widely considered possibly the best fish market in Los Angeles, they also feature an in-house cafe that serves up fresh seafood.

Source for Ingredients:

sashimi grade jumbo scallops from Fish King

organic red onion, serrano pepper, organic lime, organic lemons & organic avocado from Whole Foods

Music on Tap:

R.E.M. - Out of Time
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans

No comments:

Post a Comment